Friday, September 5, 2008

So far, so good!

The school psychologist called me today. I heard her voice and went into panic mode, but quickly calmed down when we talked. She said that Liam had a fantastic start to the year! Not one single concern, no outbursts, no meltdowns, nothing. Woohoo! She said it could be a honeymoon period, since they haven't really started the meat and potatoes of things, but it's a good sign of things to come. Right now he meets with the psychologist once a week (I think, I'd have to read the I.E.P. to be sure, it could be twice) and she said she'd give it a month and if he's still doing so well we can amend the I.E.P. and start to stretch out the time between sessions. This is great news. It is our goal, afterall, to wean off of his various I.E.P. accomidations and have him functioning as a "normal" kid by high school. Every little bit of good news is a blessing after the struggle we went through trying find a proper diagnosis and give him the right tools to function well in school.

Aislinn's doing so far so good too! Today we "tested" her knowledge of shapes and colors. I didn't have any flashcards on hand so I made some. While I was working on that Aislinn was doing her own thing. She made a "Superman Game." She cut paper into strips and when we played she had us each take a strip and put it onto our paper, we took turns and the on who took the last strip of paper in the pile was the winner! I thought she was rather clever and big brother will be proud.



She did great with her colors! She missed orange, yellow and gray during the first game and only missed purple in the second game. She seems to interchange orange + yellow and pink + purple.



Aislinn helped me make these flash cards, can you tell? tee-hee Looks like she needs a little more work with shapes. She got square, circle, oval, star and heart when we played our first game, but missed oval in the second game. So it looks like she has square and circle down pat, but need a little help with the others. I talked about the shape *pentagon* and she repeated it, "penkadon." Too cute!

After our games we did a few workbook pages and then made a collage all about her favorite things. Big brother donated some magazines for us to look through and clip from. As I was cleaning up Ais decieded to play with the markers....



Silly Girl!


No comments: